Today was the day to replenish my supply of homemade granola. It’s a welcome chore since I love the smell of freshly made granola coming out of the oven.
I vary slightly what I use to make each batch of granola depending on my mood (and what I have on hand), but it comes down to this basic recipe.
- Approx 3.5 c whole grains (today I used 2 c rolled oats, 1/2 c spelt flakes, 1 c barley flakes)
- 1 c sliced almonds (I soak the whole almonds for several hours before to make slicing easier, but you could use already sliced almonds and save yourself a lot of time, lol)
- 1/2 c raw pumpkin seed kernels (pepitas)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/3 c cold-pressed organic coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 c maple syrup
- 1 T chia seed soaked for 30 minutes or so in 2T filtered water (this acts as a bit of a binder and substitutes for egg whites)