Gluten-free and dairy-free. Healthy. Tasty. Whether you enjoy this quinoa pudding as dessert or for a nutritious breakfast, what’s not to love?
Cooking time: 35 minutes + 10 minutes rest time during which most of prep of other ingredients can be done
Yield: 6 servings. Calories per serving: 229.
- 1 cup pre-washed white quinoa seed
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1¼ cup unsweetened apple juice
- ½ cup jumbo golden raisins
- ½ cup raw whole almonds
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 2-inch cinnamon stick
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- juice of half a lemon
- grated rind of one lemon
- Add Quinoa to water in medium saucepan. Bring to boil, then simmer until water nearly absorbed (18 – 20 minutes). Set aside covered for about 10 minutes.
- Toast almonds lightly in small pan to maximize flavor. Cool completely. Chop in mini food processor to medium-fine.
- Combine chopped almonds and remaining ingredients with the cooked quinoa.
- Cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for about 15 minutes.
- Remove cinnamon stick. Scoop mixture into 6 individual dessert bowls.
- Cover and chill for 1 hour or more. Serve cold.
- Garnish with fresh pomegranate arils (seeds) for a festive holiday look.
- Pour some almond milk (or other non-fat dairy free milk) over the top and stir for a creamier pudding consistency